Sunday 26 September 2010

Orange Rockcorps Concert London 2010


Orange Rockcorps has become a global program, bringing together thousands of volunteers around the world to put in a number of hours to do something positive to help their community. Ranging from helping on farms to re-decorating schools and community centres. The benefit of giving in these hours is that you get to attend any concert of your choice. Over the years, this program has boasted of pulling together some of the biggest names in music (Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Nelly, Snoop Dogg e.t.c). It has also been able to pull in some national talent of specific countries.

My little sister was able to see Lady Gaga perform last year, and this year, she got the opportunity to see Snoop Dogg and Tinie Tempah (I typed those name in jealousy!). After she told me about her experiences, I was eager to get involved with such an amazing program. In August 2010, I gave 4 hours to help out on a farm in Stepney Green, London. In return I got a ticket to see Taio Cruz, Mark Ronson and Business International, Ndubz and Pendulum. I watched them perform last friday and I must admit, I am still aching from all the jumping and dancing, my throat is still sore from all the cheering too.

I arrived early at Royal Albert Hall and proceeded into the section I was assigned to and waited there till Alex Zane came and introduced the first act MARK RONSON & BUSINESS INTERNATIONAL who put on an amazing set and wowed the crowd by bringing out the legendary BOY GEORGE to perform a fresh duet; an amazing, reggae-influenced song entitled SOMEBODY TO LOVE ME. TAIO CRUZ was the next performer and he no doubt had all the ladies screaming their breaths out, after reminding us of the songs that made us love him, he tore up the stage with performances of his massive hits BREAK YOUR HEART and DYNAMITE. The point where I went mental was when it was announced that a special guest was going to perform, I looked up at the overhead screens and saw his name PLAN B, I have fallen in love with his music so it was no suprise that I stood on my feet through out his entire set and of course I had to sing along when he sang PRAYING.

When N-DUBZ hit the stage, the hall literally lit up because, while the girls had their eyes on Dappy and Fazer (The guys in the group), Tulisa (the only girl in the group) acted as eye-candy for the guys, I honestly think that N-Dubz could have done a better job with their set but they still got the crowd to sing along. A part of the concert that I feel that was highly unnecessary was the "OrangeRockcorps Anthem" where a bunch of artists came on stage to perform the song, so the performance was all over the place. The organisers were able to redeem themselves by making PENDULUM the last act to perform and I must admit, they ripped the stage performing techno-rock songs, particularly liked the song WITCHCRAFT. Pendulum did a fantastic job closing the show, as they were able to get the whole hall head-bopping and dancing.

I had a fantastic time giving 4 hours of time and I also had a fantastic time during the concert. I will without a doubt be volunteering my time again next year so I would be able to have another opportunity to attend another concert with a wicked line-up like this years.

No comments:

Post a Comment