Sunday 25 September 2011

Music Album: Black & White America by Lenny Kravitz


Lenny Kravitz is a veteran in the music business but over the years I had lost crediblity in his music because I think the fact the industry considers him to be a sex symbol overshadowed the incredible talent that he possesses. In addition to being a sex symbol, I think he gained more popularity due to his highly publicized relationship and break up with Cosby Show actress, Lisa Bonet (both are parents to Singer/Actress Zoe Kravitz). However, in recent times he has slowly got his career back on track modelling for high end designers, featuring in movies and has now released a new album called Black and White America.

Judging from the title and album cover, I already knew that the album would have some underlying political references. On funk/soul influenced Black and White America, he sings about the vision of Martin Luther King and how his parents were victimized for being in an interracial relationship, on Push he sings about working hard and pushing oneself to achieve your dreams, goals and objectives. Without trying to sound too political, he manages to touch on subjects of love, sexiness and heartache. On I Can't Be Without You he sings "I can't escape the way I feel about you, I don't wanna know another day without you, won't you call my name because I can't be without you, on Boongie Drop (Featuring Jay-Z) he sings about his adoration for a woman's butt and on Looking Back On Love, he sings about the subject of love after suffering from a heartbreak. My favourite song on the album is Dream, its lyrics and vocal arrangement sounds like something Michael Jackson would have written and performed.

Black and White America is an unconventional album, it is one of those albums that was simply created for the music. I think he renews the credibility of his music with this, it might not be the best of his songs but I must admit that it feels good to hear his music and feel his songwriting once again. I give this album a B+ grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment