Sunday 17 April 2011

Music Album: Capo by Jim Jones


Jim Jones is probably best known for being part member of The Diplomats, a rap group made popular by his friends, Cam'ron and Juelz Santana. A few years ago, he had a hit song called We Fly High, though I was fan of that particular song, I have never really been a fan of his. His new album, simply titled Capo offers songs that in my opinion have no commercial appeal. Though this can be called an album, it sounds more like a mixtape.

After my listening session, I really had no opinions so I went on may sites to see what others had to say and then I came across what David Jeffries of AllMusic.com had to say;

"Capo is scattered and scrappy, which for Jones is a comfortable landscape where oddball, sprawling, day-in-the-life numbers (“Let Me Fly”) can sit next to stay-on-the-grind tracks (“Deep Blue”), and Black Eyed Peas-parodies (“Perfect Day” ) with no apologies required. Add a poppin’ bottles anthem like “The Paper” with its “We Fly High”-like chorus, and the more casual Diplomats fan is satisfied, and with Cam’ron dropping plenty of strange cheese-and-France references on “Gettin’ to the Money” while Jones does the thugging, the mixtape faithful have a reason to crawl up from the underground. Big surprise is that the Wyclef collaboration actually works, and when you get the right combination of posse members (Chink Santana, Rell) and outside influences (Raekwon, Lloyd Banks, the Game) to fill in the rest, you’ve got a Jones album that falls on the better half of his discography."

Carton of Milk, Perfect Day and Changing The Locks are the only worthy tracks in my opinion. I already know that this album will bomb commercially and I am sure it will not be critically loved either.

No comments:

Post a Comment