Sunday 17 April 2011

Music Album: Rolling Papers by Wiz Khalifa


Don't judge a book by its cover, that is what a popular saying states and I think that sentence perfectly describes Wiz Khalifa. With his scruffy, awkward look and his consistent depiction of being a cannibis junkie, one would think of him as being a gangsta rapper but it in no way shows in his music. Rolling Papers is his debut offering to the music industry.

Before listening to the album, I was expecting a typical rap album filled with strong hip hop beats and memorable lyrical content, but I was surprised to hear an album filled with beats that I would really not consider to be hip hop because they had a pop feel to them, I could also hear him sing on some songs. On My Level, No Sleep, The Race and Roll Up are my favourites.

Unlike recent debut rap albums from Drake (Thank Me Later), B.o.B (The Adventures of Bobby Ray) and Nicki Minaj (Pink Friday), I was in no way blown away by the content and direction of this album. Though there is quite a momentum surrounding him and I hope that he is smart enough and creative enough to prolong his 15 minutes of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment