Sunday 26 June 2011

Movies of the Moment



X-Men: First Class: Marks the return of the popular Marvel comic series, only this time it is in form of a prequel. None of the cast of the previous movie franchise appeared in the movie, except guest appearances from Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijin. The new cast surprisingly measured up to the performances of their predecessors and the story was pretty straight-forward. I applaud the cast and film makers for an enjoyable movie but I still think it had lacklustre action sequences.

Green Lantern: With a cast that includes Ryan Reynolds (The Proposal) and Blake Lively (Gossip Girl), one would be extremely excited. Though I watched this movie until the end, I still think that this movie was overrated. I felt like Ryan didn't connect to the role and I felt like Blake was more of a low-rate version of Lois Lane. To be honest, the only reason I sat through this movie was because I thought I would see more of Blake’s sexiness but in the end I think only the ladies enjoyed the eye candy (i.e. topless scenes of Ryan Reynolds).

Pirates of the Carribbean 4: The 4th instalment returns with another fantastic performance by Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow, and this time he is joined by Penelope Cruz who also delivered a great performance, we didn’t even realize that Keira Knightly was not in the movie. However, though the movie does not measure up to the previous ones before it. I think it is still an amazing movie to watch.

BridesMaids: I know that this movie caters to strictly the women, especially those who plan to be married sooner or later, but I must admit that I enjoyed this movie. With its witty characters and the chessy dialogues, it only made the movie funny and adorable. Despite the fact that comedies never really win awards, I think this movie will be contender next award season.

KungFu Panda 2: The initial Kungfu Panda movie won rave reviews from critics and viewers, so I was pretty excited when a sequel was announced. I mean, who wouldn't love a chubby kungfu fighting Panda Bear? Jack Black and Angelina Jolie both return to their starring roles in this animation movie. The sequel returns with humour, fun and amusement. Both adults and children will enjoy this because Jack Black can do no wrong with his over-reacting personality. I think this is the franchise that will feel the void that Toy Story and Shrek left.

Fast and Furious 5: The action-packed movie returns with its 5th instalment and an all-star cast which include Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Ludacris and Tyrese. Fast cars, sexy girls in a sexy city, this movie is undoubtedly a movie for the guys. In all honesty, I was getting tired of the Fast and Furious franchise but after watching this movie, if they decide to bring back more movies with epic action-packed, adrenalin-rushing scenes like the ones in this movie, I will watch them.

Super 8: Produced by Steven Spielberg and directed by J.J. Abrams. Believe me, when two legendary professionals like Spielberg and Abrams come together to make a movie, there can be no wrong. This is another body thrilling, spine shivering movie; one of the best the best that I have seen this year. I also admire the fact that this movie was used as a platform to introduce new young talent into Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment