Thursday 30 June 2011

Music Album: 4 by Beyonce


After the success of her I Am... Sasha Fierce album and her global I Am tour, Beyonce took time off recording music and filming movies, and instead focused on being a wife, a daughter and a business woman. She reveals that in the time that she took off, she travelled to different parts of the world to experience different cultures and along the line got to hear different types of music, which inspired her to get back into the studio since she began to miss the stage. Beyonce called on some of the best writers and producers which included; The Dream, Diane Warren, Kanye West and Babyface to help her create what I will call her most mature album.

Throughout the album, she maintains powerful vocals, intense passion and aggression which will make you believe when she says that most of the songs were created to reflect that they came from a personal place. She expresses this passion most on 1+1, where she sings lines like “I don’t know much about algebra, but I know that 1 plus 1 equals 2.....” “I don’t know much abut guns but I know I’ve been shot by you”. The Babyface-penned Best Thing I Never Had, which happens to be the second single, also boasts of similar passion and emotion where she sings “I wanted you bad, I’m so through with that, ‘Cause honestly you turned out to be the best thing I never had”, the song that I will consider to be the most passionate on this album is I Was Here, Diane Warren writes truth declaring lines like “I was here... I did, I’ve done everything that I wanted...” “I will leave my mark so everyone will know I was here”. However, the best song on this album has to go to End of Time, a mid-tempo song with afrobeat influences that has Beyonce singing that she would love her man until the end of time, if he promises never to let her go.

The release of Run The World (Girls) as the first single might have really been a bad move, but it really does not define the strong material that is on this album. The material on this album can in no way be compared to the brilliance of her previous efforts, but one thing this album has that the others lacked is the maturity in her voice. The sound is grown and only goes to show that no matter what Beyonce does, she has already made her mark in history books.

No comments:

Post a Comment