Sunday 9 October 2011

Music Album: + by Ed Sheeran


Its was a saturday evening and I was in a cab on my way to visit a friend, then suddenly the driver turned on the radio and I heard the guitar strings from the song playing and I immediately knew I was going to like this song, then suddenly a voice started singing, I not only liked the guitar instrumentation but I admired the mellow vocals and was drawn to the lyrics. After leaving the cab, the song kept replaying in my head and I decided to go on a mission to find out who the artist was, it didn't take long, after typing A Team into the google search engine, most results returned with link about the Television Show and the movie but then the name Ed Sheeran came up, I eventually discovered that he was the voice I listened to in the cab, so I immediately downloaded his album on iTunes and I must say, + is my favourite album to be released this year after 21 by Adele.

My perfect description of Ed Sheeran would be Josh Groban meets John Mayer meets the qwerkiness of James Blunt. He perfectly blends slow pop, with hip-hop, afrobeats, garage and grime. Every song from beginiing to end is a worthy listen, which makes + a classic album in its own right. His lyrics are very relatable and his voice is very refreshing, from the hip-hop influence on songs like The City, Grade 8 and You Need Me, I Don't Need You to the sweet, slow and mellow delivery on songs like Wake Me Up and Kiss Me. However, where he reigns supreme are on Small Bump and the alcohol-influenced Drunk.

+ is one of those albums that shows the true artistry in an artist like Ed Sheeran, it is also one of those albums where music buyers can appreciate just the music and not the image or personality of the artist. This is absolutely one of the nest albums to be released this year, I am such a huge fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment