Sunday 29 August 2010

Music Album: Back To Me by Fantasia


Since 2004, I have continued to follow Fantasia's career, I have supported her through the ups and downs of her career/life because I honestly think she is an amazing singer and a normal human being going through life with issues just like your average neighbour on the street. In recent months, Fantasia's life has been on the forefront of media attention because of her suicide attempt and controversial relationship with American Footballer, Antwan Cook. Despite going through all this, I am happy that she has been able to get back on her feet to deliver her new album BACK TO ME.

Her vocals, the musical content and the whole package of this album have been excellent. The sweet sound and emotional lyrics of the first single BITTERSWEET is amazing, here Fantasia sings about having mixed emotions towards the relationship that she is in, with lines like "part of me wants you, part of me don't, part of me is missing you, part of me is gone" and the emotion that she shows in her vocals when singing the chrous, will engage you to listen to this album. Fantasia continues to sing with such emotion on songs like THE THRILL IS GONE, FALLING IN LOVE TONIGHT and SAID I WOULDN'T (NO MORE), she even gives us a taste of her broadway performance of "The Color Purple" which she won rave reviews for both her acting and singing on the song I'M HERE, she sings about loving oneself and taking a stand in ones life.

Another direction of this album that stood out to me, which I think a number of r&b artists out there are trying to do is, create r&b songs that would have commercial and crossover appeal and I think her attempt at this could be seen on songs like EVEN ANGELS, WHO'S BEEN LOVING YOU and MAN OF THE HOUSE. I also like the fact that she went the traditional r&b route, with songs like my personal favourite TEACH ME, TRUST HIM and COLLARD GREENS & CORNBREAD.

In my opinion, this album might not be as solid as her first two albums but nonetheless, she has been able to deliver undoubtedly one of the best r&b albums of 2010. For an enjoyable musical experience, must-listens of this album are Bittersweet, Man of the House, Teach Me, The Thrill Is Gone, Falling In Love Tonight and I'm Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment