Monday 2 August 2010

Music Album: The Defamation of Strickland Banks by Plan B


Art the say imitates life and music is art, therefore we can say that music is life. Plan B, is an artist I discovered this year even after seeing him movies like Adulthood and Harry Brown, who would have known that this young man is an amazing singer/rapper/songwriter. I have only felt this excited about an artist twice in my life, when Ashanti hit the scene in 2002 and when Duffy broke out in 2008. Now in 2010, my ipod is all about Plan B.

From the infectious hook of SHE SAID to the masculine emotion he delivers in songs like I KNOW A SONG and THE DARKEST PLACE. The Defamation of Strickland Banks, Plan B's sophomore album, is one of the best albums that I have bought in my entire life. Must listens of this album include PRAYIN' an interesting song about asking the Lord for forgiveness and redemption, with a well put together hook that goes "So now I'm prayin', oh Lord I'm prayin' to you, take away this guilt all up in my head, So now I'm pleading, oh Lord I'm pleading with you, we got some dealings to do before the day that I'm dead", On HARD TIMES he delivers with utmost sincerity and anyone who has gone through a tough time will relate to this song perfectly, with lines like "through these hards times, people see what it's like for the poor" "through these hard times people really find out what it's like to be ignored". To some this album may sound like another gangster album but he shows a soft side with LOVE GOES DOWN where he promises the female character that his love will confidently sweep her off her feet. Other notable mentions are TRADED IN MY CIGARETTES, WRITINGS ON THE WALL and WELCOME TO HELL.

Think the 80s being mixed with the contemporary nature of music of the 21st Century, Plan B delivers a solid album that will go down in my mind as a classic and one thing is certain, he has won a fan in me. I have started saving up for his concert, when his tour stops over in London in October.

The Defamation of Strickland Banks is in stores in the UK or on iTunes (UK).

No comments:

Post a Comment