Sunday 29 August 2010

Music Album: Teenage Dream by Katy Perry


When Katy Perry's debut album ONE OF THE BOYS dropped, even though I fell in love with tracks like "Hot N Cold", "Waking Up In Vegas" and "Thinking of You". I just could not bring myself to buying the album, she did come into the game with her bubble-gum punk/rock style but I was more drawn to her awkward sexiness and her personality. I have watched her host the European Music Awards twice and I have also seen her host the Teen Choice Awards, and to be able to host award shows, I think you have to have an amazing personality. She is not afraid to be herself, she is a combination of beautiful, rude and funny. From the release of her debut album to the arrival of her sophomore effort, I have fallen more in love with Katy Perry so it was no surprise that I bought her new album, TEENAGE DREAM.

Teenage Dream, I will say is reminiscent of the parts of her debut album that I listened to, but mixed with a little more personality, cheekiness and reflects the position in which Katy's life is in right now. The album's opener is the album titled TEENAGE DREAM, probably the best song of the album, where Katy refers to her relationship as a teenage dream. She was able to deliver the song with teenage humour, with lyrics like "Before you met me I was a wreck, but things were kinda heavy,you brought me to life now every February you'll be my Valentine". I think she gets into character for every song because she sounds very excited and ready for the summer as she sings on the Snoop Dogg-assisted CALIFORNIA GURLS. Katy Perry would not be as successful as she is today, if she did not put her cheekiness into her music, on the suggestive, yet fun PEACOCK, the chrous goes "I wanna see your peacock, cock, cock... Your peacock, cock" and on LAST FRIDAY NIGHT (T.G.I.F) she sings about having fun on fridays and looking forward to bumping into her love interest on fridays.

Though the album sounds dominantly playful and cheeky, it still boasts of some level maturity, especially on songs like CIRCLE THE DRAIN, THE ONE THAT GOT WAY, PEARL and NOT LIKE THE MOVIES. I think the album would have been fine without songs like E.T. and HUMMINGBIRD HEARTBEAT.

Katy Perry has delivered a fun, witty and playful album. All the songs were crafted perfectly to suit the title of the album because she really does sound like an excited teenager on this album. I think this album will lift your spirit when you are down and remind you that there are a lot of things out there to be excited for. Katy has a successful career and is set to get married later this year, so she is very happy with where is in life right now and this is reflective on the album. Circle the Drain, Pearl, The One That Got Away and Teenage Dream are must listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment