Sunday 27 March 2011

Music Album: Who You Are by Jessie J


Jessie J is a british singer/songwriter, who has been behind the scenes writing songs for the likes of Miley Cyrus and Chris Brown. Now she has come out to the forefront of the music industry to become a performer and establish a career for herself.

Her debut single Do It Like a Dude shot up to number 2 in the UK singles chart, and it established her as an artist to watch in 2011. With its provocative lyrics "I can do it like a brother, do it like a dude, grab my crotch, wear my hat low like you", the song aims at empowering women who feel belittled by the opposite sex. Her second single Price Tag (featuring B.o.B) shot straight up to number 1 in the UK and is gradually becoming a top 40 hit in the USA.

With the accompanying videos of her two singles, it will come as no surprise if she will be marketed based on her look and whatever image she can come up with. But after listening to the album, I discovered that she is actually an amazing vocalist and an impeccable songwriter. The title track, Who You Are shows her vocal range, also on other tracks like Casualty of Love, I Need This and L.O.V.E. Who You Are did not blow me away but it surprised me, I think it contains good material and shows us how talented Jessie J is. With the right strategies, she is right on her way to superstardom.

No comments:

Post a Comment