Tuesday 3 January 2012

Music Album: Sticks & Stones by Cher Lloyd


After her controversial stint on the UK X-Factor, it seems things have been up and down for Cher Lloyd. Her voice has been questioned, her edginess has been criticized, some have labeled her racist and some have even said that her lasting on the X-Factor show as long as she did was a fix by ITV and show producers to pull in young viewers. No matter what has been said about her, it seems she is having the last laugh at the end of the day, as she offers us her debut album, Stick and Stones.

Her debut single, the electrifying and cheesy Swagger Jagger shot straight to number one on the UK singles charts and in many other charts in Europe. The song was a response to her critics and naysayers where she sings "You can't stop clicking at me, Writing 'bout me, tweeting 'bout me" Her second single, a caribbean-flavoured mid-tempo ballad called With Ur Love (Featuring Mike Posner) also shot straight to the number one spot on the UK singles chart. With two number one singles, a new album and a legion of fans (can we say "winning"), Cher Lloyd proves that she is willing to put in the work to be taken as a serious artist. I respect her drive and her eagerness to be an edgy artist but at the end of the day, I think she will end up being another manufactured pop star, initially using her innocence to sell her music but the older she gets I think he career will be more about her image as oppose to the music.

Stick and Stones doesn't do it for me, if I was still a teenager, maybe it would have. I like her two singles and I appreciate the fact that she is living her dream. This album sounds too amateur and also like a lot of thought was not put into the music, apart from her first single I think the album missed out on the point it was trying to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment