Friday 2 December 2011

Music Album: Ambition by Wale


Ambition is the new album by Washington DC based rapper Wale, who is now signed to Maybach Music (record label started by Rick Ross). In 2009, Wale had a moderate hit, Chillin (Featuring Lady Gaga). It was that song that introduced me to the megastar force that Gaga is today and also made me realize that he could be something big, if he had the right team behind him. Initially, I was hoping he would join the Young Money/Cash Money clan, but I was equally excited when I found out that he signed with Rick Ross, which in my opinion was a better option, so that he would not be eclipsed by the star power of Drake, Nicki Minaj and even Wayne himself.

Ambition is my kind of rap album, very easy and comfortable to listen to. No particular punchlines stick out to me but there is just something about the way Wale raps over the instrumentals that make the album pretty enjoyable. The perfect mix of hip hop and r&b on Sabotage(featuring Lloyd), Lotus Flower Bomb(featuring Miguel), White Linen (Coolin) (featuring Ne-Yo) and the traditional r&b influenced That Way(featuring Jeremih and Rick Ross). Even on the tracks where he tries to keep it hardcore appealed to my listening ears, Focused (featuring Kid Cudi), Legendary and the title track Ambition(Featuring Meek Mill and Rick Ross) are worthy to be noted. One track that does have potential to be a crossover hit for him is the dancefloor-friendly Slight Work(featuring Big Sean) - if its released, it might become his biggest hit because of its infectious beat and naughty lyrics, kind of what Dance (A$$) is doing for Big Sean right now.

Considering the fact that I was one of the very few people who bought Wale's debut album. I can honestly say that he is really ambitious. Despite the lacklustre sales of his debut album, it didn't deter him or force him to start "beef" with any other artists in order to gain popularity, instead he started to make connections and industry friends, which have in turn made him create what I will consider one of the best albums that I have bought this year. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing spectacular about this album, its just the feel-good momentum that he maintains through out the album that makes it pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment