Sunday 11 December 2011

Music Album: My Life II... The Journey Continues (Act 1)


In 1994, Mary J Blige released her classic career defining album My Life. The albums successful attempt at capturing the pain and struggle that she was going through at the time, reflected in the music and I think it made her music relatable because a lot of people were going through the same situations she was singing about. Over the years, we have seen her live through her music and we have seen how her pain has transformed into happiness and what I would called positive obstacles. In continuation of her iconic musical evolution, she has decided to revisit the 1994 era, by creating music that is as solid and personal as the orignal My Life album, and also to show her listeners that she has grown and even though she still meets some struggles in her life, her journey in life continues, which is why she appropriately titles this album My Life II... The Journey Continues (Act 1).

The album starts with a telephone conversation between Mary and Diddy (who was one of the Executive Producers of the orignal My Life album), where she explains her vision and overall concept for the album. The album continues into the Nas assisted Feel Inside, where Mary reassures a lover that she loves him no matter the doubts and reservations that he might have. On the charming first single 25/8, she sings "Cause I got days and days of love, for you boy/And I don’t wanna have to rush, But 24/7 ain’t enough/Cause I got so much love for you boy/I need another hour and a day/So I can love you 25/8, 25/8". On the second single, Mr Wrong (featuring Drake), she sings about being in love with someone that people might not really approve of, the Rico-Love produced and Jim Jonsin written track happens to be one of the stand-out tracks. Other amazing songs include her rendition of Chaka Khan's Aint Nobody, Midnight Drive where she brings back her rap alter-ego Brook Lynn and Get It Right which features Taraji P. Henson. However, the songs on which we can hear some classic Mary are Don't Mind, and the powerful stripped down sound on Empty Prayers and The Living Proof.

In interviews, Mary makes it a point to explain that this album is in no way a competitior neither is it trying to capture the classic status of its orignal. She says she just wanted people to see how much her story has changed over the years in which I am compelled to agree. My Life II carries its own weight. Is it a classic? No, but I think it does have songs that Mary J. Blige fans like myself will be singing in many more years to come. Year after year, with the release of music consistently, Mary continues to reign as the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul and also continues to show us why her career shows no sign of expiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment